Not long ago Paizo announced Starfinder, a new tabletop RPG set in outer space. Paizo’s Erik Mona has been looking to the stars for some time now, and Starfinder will undoubtedly satisfy his urge to explore the deep expanse, along with many others’. The company has just announced that the Starfinder Core Rulebook is available now for pre-order (along with some other goodies), and it will be available starting at Gen Con this year.
The Starfinder Core Rulebook will be hardcover and include 560 pages of sci-fi greatness. Here’s what you’ll find inside:
- Complete rules for players and GMs for science-fantasy races like logical androids, telepathic lashunta, ysoki ratfolk, and more—plus all of the classic fantasy races of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game!
- 7 new science-fantasy classes, from the spellhacking technomancer to the starship mechanic with a remote-controlled robot. Will you be a heavily armored soldier, a charismatic envoy, a stealthy operative, an occult mystic, or the cosmically attuned solarian, who calls forth strange powers and shapes energy weapons from stars and black holes?
- A detailed overview of Starfinder’s core setting, including the planets of the Pact Worlds, their gods, major factions and threats, and more.
- Complete rules for starship combat, as well as for building and customizing starships.
- Hundreds of science-fantasy weapons, armors, and items, both magical and technological, from plasma cannons and holy power armor to enchanted swords and cybernetic implants.
- Hundreds of spells to let mystic or technomancer characters tap into esoteric energies and rewrite the laws of physics.
- Rules for alien environments, deadly traps, bizarre diseases and poisons, and everything else needed to craft exciting adventures.
- Advice on converting Pathfinder RPG content to Starfinder, and vice-versa.
The Core Rulebook is great and all, but it’s not the only thing to expect when the new RPG launches this August. Here’s a full lineup of products you can expect to see:
- Starfinder Adventure Path: Incident at Absalom Station (Dead Suns 1 of 6): The first Starfinder Adventure Path kicks off as a deserted mining ship tows a mysterious asteroid out of hyperspace, revealing clues to an ancient alien superweapon that could threaten the existence of the Pact Worlds. Starfinder Adventure Path will be a bimonthly, 64-page book filled with not just linked adventures, but new setting information, alien creatures, and new rules and options for GMs and players. This volume features a mega-sized gazetteer of Absalom Station, magical relics, new monsters, and more. MSRP $22.99
- Starfinder GM Screen: All the most important Game Master information is at the fingertips with this handy GM screen, its player-facing side emblazoned with a massive and gorgeous panoramic battle scene featuring all the Starfinder iconic heroes. MSRP $19.99
- Starfinder Player Character Folio: This deluxe player character portfolio keeps track of characters with expanded character sheet sections, quick rules reference, and more. MSRP $9.99
- Starfinder Core Pawn Collection: Spice up combat with this collection of gorgeous pawns, perfect for both PCs and enemies, including humanoids, monsters, starships, and more. A Starfinder Pawn Base Assortment will also be available, using the same size as the Pathfinder Pawn bases to mix and match between the two game systems. MSRP $24.99
- Starfinder Flip-Mats: Basic Terrain (MSRP $14.99) is a standard square-gridded battle mat with ground on one side and decking for a spaceship or space station on the other. Basic Starfield (MSRP $19.99) is a larger-than-normal flip mat featuring two different starfields with a hex grid, perfect for Starfinder’s starship combat system.
With all of this to look forward to, I know what my Gen Con’s going to be about this year! I can’t wait to get things started with Starfinder. I’m a HUGE sci-fi fan and already have ideas in my head for adventures out in the galaxy. What are you looking forward to the most with Starfinder? Are you excited to take off into the stars?