Hey everyone! I’m back for another round to bring you all a D&D 5th edition review. This time I’m coming at you with the “Out of the Abyss” supplement. This is a June 2015 release from WotC (who partnered with Green Ronin). It’s part of the “Rage of Demons” storyline that Wizards is carrying on through it’s novels, games, and digital media.
Here’s some of the finer points:
- It takes the players from level 1-15
- Explores new events in the realm of the Underdark. Includes many of the iconic races of the Underdark, such as the Drow, Duergar, Svirfneblin, Fungi creatures,and even a Mind Flayer or two.
- The book goes for an “Alice in Wonderland” feel, but doesn’t end up feeling quite as atmospheric as supplement books like “The Curse of Strahd”. Still a great read though.
- 254 pages, which includes an index of the demon lords themselves. If you want stats on Orcus, Demogorgon, Baphomet, etc., then this is the supplement you want.
- Price of $49.95 might be a bit on the expensive side, but hardcore fans will find that it makes a good edition to the storyline of the ever-expanding world that 5th edition is creating.
Though this book is a bit on the expensive side, it provides 15 levels of entertainment and gives players access to current events that are taking place in the realm of Faerun. It has good characters and an interesting narrative, but doesn’t end up feeling quite as stylized as some other D&D supplements. All in all, it’s a great supplement for those D&D aficionados who are specifically interested in the Underdark or the denizens of the Abyss.
Thanks to Wizards of the Coast for providing a copy of D&D 5th : Out of the Abyss for review!