It’s the first full week of 2015 and probably the best time to go back and reminiscence on my gaming for 2014. It was definitely an experience to play every board game I own. When the next gaming auction/sell-off comes around, I will have a lot of hard choices of what games I should keep and what I should part with. In playing all the board games, I have noticed that I own a lot of RPG and miniatures games that I should probably go through as well.
Some interesting facts:
- It took 100 game days in the year to play every game I own. Over a quarter of the year was a game day!
- I played games with 48 unique players – I actually wish this was higher, but the tight schedule required a lot of games with my normal gaming group.
- About 300 game hours for the entire plan – give or take.
- I went to three conventions where I played nine games from the list.
- Three games were not played from my original list – The Ares Project, Parts Unknown and IU-opoly. Two were sold and the third was thrown away.
- Over 50% of my games were purchased in the last five years.
- The oldest game I own is Pit (1903) and my newest game is Zombicide: Rue Morgue (beating out Dreadball Xtreme by one day).
- I bought 14% of my current game collection this year!
- I logged 286 game plays on Boardgamegeek for 2014.
Which brings me to my next topic – my top 25 games that I own. This was hard to do since most games only got played once this year and thus difficult to judge where they should be ranked. This goes for both the older games in the collection (7 Wonders) and the newer games (Arcadia Quest). Still, this is my current top 25 as of today – I am definitely more of an Ameritrash gamer than I thought I was though I can’t tell you if it’s theme or shiny bits that hold my sway.
|4||Descent: Journeys in the Dark (2nd Edition)|
|6||Flash Point Fire Rescue|
|7||Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death/Cities of Ancients|
|8||Mage Knight Board Game|
|12||Xia: Legends of a Drift System|
|13||Super Dungeon Explore|
|16||Escape: The Curse of the Temple|
|17||Merchants & Marauders|
|18||Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set|
|21||Mice and Mystics|
|24||Firefly: The Board Game|
I am still trying to decide what my 2015 gaming goal should be. First I thought to pick five games and complete the entire campaign – good personal goal, but not great for a weekly column. Perhaps the idea of playing a game 100 times – good goal, but horrible for a weekly column. Then I figured that I would get every game to at least 5 plays, but that could limit choices that I might really want to get to the table (possibly unattainable as well). Then I thought maybe play all my miniature games that I own, but 90% of those games are two player games and would be an uphill battle with my current gaming group. My last idea was to paint all my miniatures – I have over 500 (not including those in board games) that would need to be painted and to be honest I really hate painting. If anyone has any ideas, I’m definitely open to suggestions.
Until next time – Play a Game!