Gen Con 2014 is coming up soon and badge pre-registration is right around the corner. It seems just like yesterday we were leaving the Indianapolis Convention Center and waving goodbye to the Best Four Days in Gaming, and here we are already making plans for the convention this year. Gen Con is already revving their engines to get things put together for this year and they’ve just released some details regarding housing and badge registration.
Gen Con housing opens up on January 28th, two days after badge pre-registration. This allows you a couple of days to get your housing code together for when you need to start setting up your room. Gen Con has partnered with Q-Rooms this year, a new service provider. Attendees can reserve their rooms both online and on the phone by calling 317-912-1240. Rooms are sold on a first-come, first-served basis, so it’s better to get in as early as possible. I know we’ll be gunning for a room attached to the convention center, and those rooms are the first sold out. As posted on the Gen Con site, here are the five main things you need to know about housing this year:
1) You must have a housing access code to book a room in the Gen Con housing block. The booking limit is one room per badge. You will need to purchase a badge in order to obtain a housing access code. Pre-Registration opens on January 26, 2014. Attendees are entitled to one room reservation per badge. If you and your family need more than one room, adults in your party need to purchase as many badges as the number of rooms needed.
2) Rooms are sold on a first-come, first-serve basis in real time. You can self-book rooms online or contact an agent for assistance by calling 317-912-1240. All room inventory is available through the online booking portal. You will have approximately 10 minutes to complete your billing information from the time you select a room before your session times out, releasing the room back into general inventory. Have your credit card ready before you go online!
3) Call center agents have access to the same inventory that’s selling online in real time. Due to extremely high call volume on opening day, callers may have to wait several minutes before connecting with an agent. Please DO NOT delay online booking while trying to reach a housing agent by phone or email. Book the room that best meets your criteria online.
4) The Gen Con Housing Wait List grows quickly and is also processed in real time. Calling an agent to request a place on the wait list on opening day will result in obtaining a lower placement than applying by email. While waiting to connect to an agent, other email requests arrive ahead of your request. When you apply via email, the housing agent receives a time-stamped message containing the proper email address to reach you. If you forget to leave other important details, the agent will inform you when replying to your request (see next tip).
5) When applying for the Wait List by email, you should include the following information: Your housing access code, your first and last name, a phone number and/or email address where you can be reached between the hours of 9 AM and 6 PM (Eastern), your preferred hotel, your preferred room type, and your preferred check-in and check-out dates. If you already booked a room as a contingency, please include the acknowledgment number with your Wait List request. Agents need all of this information. If you booked another room in the block and later obtain your preferred room choice, there will be no fee for changing your reservation and canceling the original booking.
When it comes to badge registration, it’s important to know that pre-registration is taking place on January 26th. Gen Con has decided to this year consolidate shipping options for attendees this year to offer a better-streamlined process. This year will see all shipping options will be switched to USPS Priority Mail. This will offer attendees 3-5 day shipping for a flat rate of just $10. This new shipping option will also include free tracking and signature delivery. For more details on the new shipping method, take a look at the official Gen Con post.
Finally, event submission is now open. You can submit your Gen Con event by heading to the submission site. Over 1,000 events have already been submitted, with more coming as the days to Gen Con 2014 draw near. Gen Con is an amazing event and it’s something gamers look forward to every year. I really think this year will be the best yet, and as more details arise we’ll be sure to get things covered. Keep your eyes glued to our site for more as it arises!